NRC is mandated to protect public health from Limerick Nuclear Plant Operations. Inexplicably, NRC has not just minimized the consequences of radiation exposure in our region, but actually ignored and avoided the impacts of Limerick Nuclear Plant’s regular radiation releases into the environment of the Greater Philadelphia Region, in Limerick’s DRAFT Environmental Impact Statement.
Radiation exposure to the public is barely mentioned in NRC’s 585 page DRAFT EIS. On the very few pages with any reference, radiation releases and their effects on human health have been inaccurately characterized as minimal or small. Documented evidence of our health crisis refutes NRC’s unsubstantiated claims.
This is NRC’s most harmful lie yet, because it will allow Limerick’s threats and harms to health in the region to continue for decades.
ACE Video Blog Part 4 8-13
NRC IGNORED LIMERICK’S ROUTINE RADIATION RELEASES AND SKYROCKETING CANCER RATES
THE LINK IS CLEAR!
• LIMERICK RELEASES RADIATION
• RADIATION CAUSES CANCER
• CANCER RATES SKYROCKETED AFTER LIMERICK STARTED OPERATING
• CANCERS ARE DOCUMENTED TO BE ELEVATED AROUND MANY NUCLEAR PLANTS, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN
LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT’S HARMFUL ROUTINE RADIATION RELEASES INTO OUR ENVIRONMENT HAVE THREATENED OUR HEALTH SINCE OPERATIONS STARTED IN 1985.
YET NRC’S DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT (EIS) DECEPTIVELY MINIMIZES THE HARMFUL EFFECTS OF ROUTINE RADIATION EXPOSURE IN OUR REGION. NRC’S EIS CONCLUSIONS ARE NOT CREDIBLE.
NRC’s DRAFT EIS is not responsive to the concerns of residents in our region who are well informed about NRC’s tactics to hide the truth about our radiation exposures from Limerick. We have been exposed to the additive, cumulative, and synergistic impacts of Limerick’s routine radiation releases since 1985. We can’t see it, smell it, taste, it, or feel it. Limerick’s radiation is proven to be in our air, water, soil, vegetation, milk, food, and fish in the Schuylkill River. Research shows we have some of the highest radiation levels in the teeth of our children, even compared to other nuclear plant communities tested.
THE FACTS ARE CLEAR:
Limerick has been routinely and accidently releasing radiation for the past 28 years.
It must be concluded that there have been additive, cumulative, and synergistic harmful impacts from all Limerick’s radionuclides released and from all routes of exposure.
NRC does not acknowledge the large number of radionuclides or levels of them that have been released from Limerick over the past 28 years .
NRC has no accurate idea of the amount of radiation that Limerick is releasing into our environment, because NRC does NO RADIATION MONITORING or TESTING.
Exelon, the company with a vested interest in the outcome that has shown it can’t be trusted, controls the entire radiation monitoring, testing, and reporting process.
Limerick’s radiation releases into our air and water include a broad range of radionuclides that have never been continuously monitored or regularly tested independently by NRC or any other agency.
Some radionuclides released from Limerick have long half-lives, and their impacts are obviously enormous considering we are exposed from many routes of exposure.
Yet, NRC negligently ignores Limerick’s radiation impacts in Limerick’s DRAFT EIS .
Even Exelon’s own deceptive radiation self-testing for Limerick shows many different radionuclides are in our air, water, soil, sediment, milk, and fish.
According to the National Academy of Sciences there is NO SAFE DOSE of radiation exposure. Its BEIR VII report refutes NRC’s unsubstantiated claim that harms from Limerick are “small”.
ACE submitted substantial evidence in 2011 in written public hearing testimony to NRC for Limerick’s DRAFT EIS. We documented our region’s high cancer rates based on PA Cancer Registry data in communities around Limerick. Cancer rates are far higher than the national average.
This evidence of harm should have been alarming, even to NRC. Obviously NRC chose to ignore it.
NRC’s insistence on repeatedly dismissing obvious harms from Limerick’s routine radiation emissions is unacceptable.
NRC’s deceptions and denials lead to continued and increasing harms and threats to people from Limerick Nuclear Plant’s radiation and other toxic releases.
NRC routinely inaccurately claims that Limerick’s radiation releases are small and not harmful. But NRC’s claims are based on flawed and outdated theoretical models for radiation exposure.
NRC only measures external doses, and ignore internal doses.
”Permissible” radiation doses, as defined by NRC, does not mean they are safe. The National Academy of Sciences BEIR VII report said there is no safe dose.
Dr. John Gofman, once head of AEC’s Lab, raised dire warnings about permitted releases from nuclear plants. He published research showing an estimated 32,000 Americans would die each year from fatal cancers induced by “allowable” radiation releases.
Dr. John Gofman, once head of AEC’s Lab said, “the entire nuclear power program is based on a fraud, that there is a permissible dose that wouldn’t hurt anyone.
CANCER INCREASES IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY SKYROCKETED AFTER LIMERICK STARTED OPERATING IN 1985 AND ARE DOCUMENTED TO BE FAR HIGHER THAN THE NATIONAL AND TRI-COUNTY AVERAGES IN SIX COMMUNITIES STUDIED NEAR LIMERICK.
LIMERICK’S RADIATION RELEASES ARE UNDENIBLY A MAJOR FACTOR.
• LIMERICK RELEASES RADIATION
• RADIATION CAUSES CANCER
• CANCER RATES SKYROCKETED AFTER LIMERICK STARTED OPERATING!
ACE PROVIDED NRC WITH DETAILS OF OUR CANCER CRISIS IN 10-26-11 EIS TESTIMONY FOR LIMERICK, YET NRC’S DRAFT EIS FOR LIMERICK FAILED TO INCLUDE THE DATA.
A CANCER CRISIS AROUND LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT IS WELL DOCUMENTED BY:
• Four Cancer Reports Using PA Cancer Registry Statistics and CDC Data Show Alarming Increases in Cancer, With Cancer Data Far Above The National and Tri-County Averages, Especially In Children
• ACE Cancer Mapping From Heath Surveys Reveals An Alarming Cancer Crisis
UNDENIABLE LINK – UPWARD TREND IN CHILDHOOD CANCER RATES AFTER LIMERICK STARTED OPERATING IN 1985
Late 1980’s 30 % HIGHER than the NATIONAL AVERAGE
Early 1990’s 60 % HIGHER than the NATIONAL AVERAGE
Late 1990’s 92.5% HIGHER than the NATIONAL AVERAGE
Late 1990’s 100 % HIGHER than the TRI COUNTY AVERAGE
Strontium-90 – An Undeniable Link To Rising Childhood Cancer Rates
• Even Exelon’s 2009 Radiological Report to NRC shows Limerick’s Strontium-90 is in our water, soil, milk, and vegetation
• Strontium-90 testing of our children’s baby teeth shows SR-90 at some of the highest levels in the nation in the teeth of our children.
• Limerick has been releasing SR-90 into our air and water since 1985.
• Children around Limerick have some of the highest levels of SR-90 in their baby teeth.
• It is shameful for NRC to blame decades old bomb testing that was done in the Midwest for SR-90 in the teeth of these children.
• SR-90 evidence serves as a marker to prove Limerick’s radiation is in the bodies of our children.
Documented Cancer Data Provided To NRC By ACE 10-26-11, Should Have Alarmed Even NRC:
• Childhood Cancer Rates Skyrocketed To 92.5 % Higher Than The National Average In Six Communities Close To Limerick Nuclear Plant.
(Pottstown , West Pottrove, Lower Pottsgrove, Upper Pottsgove, North Coventry, Douglass Township)
• There Was A 71% Increase In Childhood Cancer Deaths
In Montgomery County, Home of Limerick Nuclear Power Plant
(Deaths from Neoplasms in Children Ages 1 to 14 1981-89 vs. 1990-98)
• Childhood Cancer Deaths In Neighboring Counties, PA, and the U.S. Went Down:
Chester County 29.0% Decrease
Berks County 30.6% Decrease
Pennsylvania 17.1% Decrease
U.S. 21. 2% Decrease
• Cancer Rates In 6 Communities Close to Limerick Nuclear Plant (1995 to 1999) Are Far Higher Than U.S. and Tri-County Averages For 8 of 11 Most Common Cancers In The U.S. (Compared to U.S. and TriCounty Rates)
Lower Pottsgrove, Upper Pottsgrove, West Pottsgrove, Pottstown, North Coventry, Douglass Berks
Type of Cancer Above U. S. Above Tri County
Kidney/Renal Pelvis + 60 % + 42.7 %
Rectum + 44 % + 13.5 %
Uterine + 44 % + 38.7 %
Breast (female) + 39 % + 24.5 %
Brain/Cent. Nervous System + 38 % + 32.5 %
Urinary Bladder + 35.5 % + 17.9 %
Colon + 21 % + 3.3 %
Lung + 11.8 % + 18.4 %
Leukemia + 11.5 % + 14.9 %
Limerick’s routine radiation releases must be considered a major factor in these cancer rates which are so much higher than the national and tri-county averages. This refutes NRC’s claims that our cancer rates are high because of better detection methods or life-style choices.
• Cancer Rates In Montgomery County, Home of Limerick Nuclear Plant, increased Dramatically After Limerick Opened
Increases Mid 80s to 90s
Prostate Increased 132%
Thyroid Increased 128%
Kidney Increased 96%
Multiple Myeloma Increased 91%
Hodgkin’s Disease Increased 67%
Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Increased 61%
Breast Increased 61%
Pancreas Increased 54 %
Leukemia Increased 48%
THYROID CANCER LINK
After Limerick Nuclear Plant Started Operating in 1985 – In Montgomery County, Home Of Limerick Nuclear Plant
128% INCREASE – 1985-86 to 1996-97 Source: Pennsylvania State Cancer Registry
1998,1999, 2000 – Thyroid Cancer Rate Was About
75% HIGHER – Than U.S. Rate (Also Rising) Source: CDC Website
Thyroid Cancer Rates Are Far Higher Than National Average
In Counties Closest Most Impacted By Limerick Nuclear Plant’s Radioactive Emissions
Montgomery County 56.2 % Higher Than U.S.
Chester County 53.9 % Higher Than U.S.
Berks County 14.6 % Higher Than U.S.
While Berks County is Upwind – It is still higher than the U.S. Average
Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, http://statecancerprofiles.cancer.gov.
Rates adjusted to 2000 U.S. standard population.
Our region’s thyroid cancer rates are horrific, considering they’re above the U.S. average when, U.S. (1980 – 2006) Increased 154.7 % and PA (2001- 2005) Had The Highest Thyroid Cancer Rates In U.S.
THERE ARE UNDENIABLE LINKS TO LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT’S RELEASES OF RADIOACTIVE IODINE-131 INTO OUR AIR AND WATER FOR DECADES.
• Limerick Nuclear Plant’s routine Iodine-131 radiation releases into our air and water impact the thyroid.
• Counties Closest and Downwind From Limerick Have Highest Thyroid Cancer Rates.
• Philadelphia Water Had The Highest Iodine-131 Levels In The Nation – Philadelphia Is Only 20 Miles Downstream From Limerick’s Radioactive Discharges.
Research Links Thyroid Cancer And Radiation Emissions From Nuclear Plants.
• Nuclear plants, including Limerick, routinely release radioactive iodine.
• Radioactive iodine attacks the thyroid gland, a fact confirmed by the potassium Iodide pills issued to residents within 10 miles of a nuclear plant to protect the thyroid in case of an accident or terrorist attack.
• Thyroid cancer is one of the most radiation-sensitive cancers.
• Radioactive iodine released from nuclear plants seeks out the thyroid gland and destroys its cells.
THYROID CANCER – An “Epidemic” Around Nuclear Plants
• The 2009 scientific article reported a Thyroid Cancer Epidemic in a small 90-mile radius encompassing eastern PA, central New Jersey, and southern New York, where 16 reactors are located, including Limerick Nuclear Plant.
• The Alliance For A Clean Environment (ACE) is extremely concerned about the shocking thyroid cancer increases and rates above the national average around Limerick Nuclear Plant., Documented statistics show shocking thyroid cancer increases in Montgomery County, home of Limerick Nuclear Plant, since Limerick started operating in the mid 1980′s to the mid 1990′s.
BREAST CANCER LINK
Evidence shows at the same time Breast Cancer Rates were declining around a nuclear plant that closed in California, Breast Cancer Rates in our regions started increasing after Limerick started operating.
Breast Cancer Rates INCREASED 61% In Montgomery County, Home of Limerick Nuclear Plant, After Limerick Started Operating in 1985.
Source: PA Cancer Registry 1985-86 to 1996-97
BREAST CANCER RATES WERE FAR HIGHER THAN THE NATIONAL AVERAGE IN EVERY AGE GROUP IN SIX COMMUNITIES CLOSE TO LIMERICK
(Lower Pottsgrove, Upper Pottsgrove, West Pottsgrove, Pottstown, North Coventry, Douglass Berks)
Breast Cancer By Age (diagnosed 1995-1999)
Compared to the National Average (Source: Pa Cancer Registry)
Age % HIGHER than U.S.
0-29 + 15.3 %
30-44 +51.4 %
45-64 + 39.3 %
65+ + 28.6 %
Breast Cancer is an epidemic nationwide, therefore these breast cancer rates near Limerick are so much more alarming because they are so much higher than the national average in every age group. They cannot be explained away by heredity, life-style choices, or better screening. Limerick’s radiation releases into our air and water are clearly a major factor.
Research Links Breast Cancer With Radiation Exposure
• Data from Chernobyl confirms that children exposed to radiation have a greater likelihood of developing breast cancer as adults. Source: Life Extension, 12/04
• John W. Gofman, M.D., Ph.D. “Our estimate is that about three-quarters of the current annual incidence of breast-cancer in the U.S. is being caused by earlier ionizing radiation… Source: “Preventing Breast Cancer” 1995
• “Life’s Delicate Balance” Causes and Prevention of Breast Cancer. Janette Sherman, M.D. Analyzes Links Between Cancer and Radiation and Other Toxics.
• 350 Studies Link Half of Breast Cancers to the Environment. The studies show that half of breast cancers causes are not attributed to Genetic Risk or Lifestyle Choices. Limerick’s radiation releases must be considered a major factor in our region’s extraordinarily high breast cancer rates.
In Six Communities Studied Near Limerick Nuclear Plant
LEUKEMIA was documented to be ALMOST DOUBLE THE STATE AVEARGE (1985 to 1994). (Montgomery County Health Department Study on PA Cancer Registry Statistics).
Leukemia represented the largest number of childhood cancers among the 92.5% childhood cancers rates higher than the national average.
The 15 year leukemia rate is approximately about 40% above the other three county rate. This is a statistically significant difference (p Source: Pennsylvania State Cancer Registry
Research Linking Leukemia to Nuclear Plant Radiation Exposure:
• A review of 17 medical journal articles by researchers from the Medical University of South Carolina showed that child leukemia rates were elevated at all 17 reactors.
• Leukemia death rates in U.S. children near nuclear reactors rose sharply in the past two decades, according to a study published in the European Journal of Cancer Care in 2008.
• Documentation of high leukemia rates in Chernobyl children confirm this link.
BRAIN CANCER IN POTTSTOWN IS SIGNIFCANTLY HIGHERTHAN STATE AND NATIONAL AVERAGES OR MUNICIPALITIES WITHIN A 12 MILE RADIUS.
Statistics: PA Department of Health, Bureau of Health Statistics ( 2001, August)
Compiled by: Penn State – Graduate Student Research
Analysis of cancer incidence in PA counties 1994-1998 http://www.health.sate.pa.us/stats
BRAIN/CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM CANCERS
IN THE SIX COMMUNITIES STUDIES CLOSE TO LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT.
(Pottstown , West Pottsgrove, Lower Pottsgrove, Upper Pottsgove, North Coventry, Douglass Berks Township)
COMPARED TO NATIONAL AVERAGE: 38.3 HIGHER
COMPARED TO TRI COUNTY AREA: 32.5 HIGHER
DISASTROUS UPWARD TREND
Brain/Central Nervous System cancer statistics since Limerick Nuclear Plant started operating in 1985.
1985-89 15 cases
1990-94 19 cases
1995-99 23 cases
MANY OTHER CANCER STUDIES IN GERMANY AND ELSEWHERE IN EUROPE, AS WELL AS THE U.S., CONFIRM HIGHER RATES OF CANCER AROUND NUCLEAR PLANTS.
JUST ONE EXAMPLE: Cancer Near German Reactors http://www.oeconline.org/our-work/kidshealth/healthprofessionals/first-annual-nw-health-conference-pdfs/day 1/Nussbaum%202.6.09.pdf
THESE CANCER STUDIES PROVIDE ADDITIONAL CONFIRMATION THAT LIMERICK IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN THIS REGION’S ALARMING CANCER RATES.
CANCER STUDIES ALSO SHOW:
CANCER RATES ROSE WHEN NUCLEAR PLANTS OPENED
CANCER RATES DECLINED WHEN NUCLEAR PLANTS CLOSED
EVIDENCE BELOW SHOWS MORE HARM TO OUR CHILDREN AFTER LIMERICK STARTED OPERATING IN 1985.
INFANT and NEONATAL MORTALITY IS FAR HIGHER NEAR LIMERICK THAN THE STATE AVERAGE, AND EVEN HIGHER THAN PHILDELPHIA AND READING.
(State Data – Reported by EPA in 2003).
Evidence shows when nuclear plants open infant mortality rates go up.
When nuclear plants close, infant mortality rates go down.
• AUTISM INCREASED 310% (1990 to 2000)
• LEARNING DISABILITIES INCREASED by 94%, OVER DOUBLE THE STATE INCREASE OF 46%. (1990 to 2000)
THE FOLLOWING HEALTH HARMS WERE HIGHER THAN THE STATE AVERAGE, AND EVEN HIGHER THAN PHILADELPHIA AND READING
• Malignant Tumors
• Cerebrovascular Disease
• Lower Respiratory Disease
(2003 EPA Report Based on PA Data)
Limerick’s 2009 air pollution permit shows why Limerick’s cooling tower PM-10 air pollution can contribute to increases in cerebrovascular and lower respiratory diseases.
All this evidence shows that a health crisis occurred in our region after Limerick Nuclear Plant started operating in 1985.
• ACE compiled and presented all this evidence to the NRC 10-26-11 in public hearing testimony for NRC’s EIS on Limerick.
• This evidence of our health crisis and its links to Limerick operations should compel NRC to protect public health by closing Limerick now.
For the past 28 years, a broad range of radionuclides (some with long half-lives) have routinely and accidentally been released into our air and water from Limerick Nuclear Plant.
We have been, and will continue to be exposed to the additive, cumulative, and synergistic harmful impacts of Limerick’s radiation through several routes of exposure as long as Limerick operates.
RADIATION RELEASES ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS THREAT TO OUR HEALTH FROM LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT.NRC’S DRAFT ENVIORNMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT FAILED TO ADDRESS LIMERICK’S RADIATION IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY.
NRC’S glaring omission of radiation and its enormous threat to our environment and health rises to the level of regulatory malpractice.
It is shocking that NRC’s DRAFT EIS fails to address radiation exposure and human health impacts in any meaningful way.
Radiation exposure to the public is barely mentioned in NRC’s 585 page DRAFT EIS.
On the very few pages with any reference, radiation releases and their effects on human health have been shamelessly characterized as minimal or small, clearly an unsubstantiated claim, for which NRC has NO independent evidence. NRC’s claim is NOT CREDIBLE.
Even Exelon’s own radiological monitoring reports to NRC show that a broad range of radionuclides are documented to be in our air, water, sediment, fish, and milk.
Evidence from independent scientists suggest that NO level of radiation exposure is safe.
NRC is mandated to protect public health from Limerick Nuclear Plant Operations, yet NRC has not just minimized the consequences of radiation exposure in our region, but even ignored the impacts of Limerick Nuclear Plant’s regular radiation releases into the life-support system that impacts human health in the Greater Philadelphia Region, in Limerick’s DRAFT Environmental Impact Statement.
Exposure to Limerick’s radiation is an injustice. We can’t see, smell, taste, or feel it, but it’s everywhere. We can’t avoid it. As long as Limerick Nuclear Plant continues to operate, radiation and other dangerous toxics will be released into our air and water. The additive, cumulative, and synergistic harmful impacts of that will cause more people to suffer needlessly.
NRC could stop unnecessary radiation and other toxic exposures due to Limerick Nuclear Plant operations.
Associated suffering and health care costs due to Limerick operations would be dramatically reduced by closing Limerick if NRC would close Limerick now to protect public health.
AS LONG AS LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT OPERATES, RADIATION WILL CONTINUE TO BE RELEASED INTO OUR LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM.
NRC SHOULD REQUIRE LIMERICK TO CLOSE NOW TO PROTECT PUBLIC HEALTH, ESPECIALLY FOR OUR CHILDREN.
HELP CLOSE LIMERICK NOW TO REDUCE RADIATION EXPOSURE AND MINIMIZE RISK FOR CANCER
LEAVE CONTACT INFORMATION AND ANY INFORMATION ABOUT CANCER