ELECTED OFFICIALS MUST TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT US FROM LIMERICK
NUCLEAR PLANT THREATS OR BE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE
WE ARE AT A CROSSROAD! AT STAKE:
PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS
- Limerick Is Destroying Vital Drinking Water Resources
- Limerick’s Radioactive Air Releases Add To Cancer And Other Health Risks
- Limerick Systems Are Rapidly Aging, Corroding, and Increasingly Dangerous
- There Is No Safe Solution For Limerick’s Deadly Radioactive Wastes
- There Is No Safe Way To Evacuate Our Densely Populated Region If Limerick Has A Major Radiation Accident or Meltdown
- Meltdown Risks Are Increasing! Millions Could Lose Everything! That Can Be Avoided If Limerick Closes Now.
ACE REPEATEDLY INFORMED ELECTED OFFICIALS
- In 2011, your officials failed to speak on the Limerick Relicensing public hearing record
- In 2012, your officials failed to speak on the public hearing record to protect our drinking water
- In 2013, your officials failed to speak on the record about Limerick’s environmental impacts
ELECTED OFFICIALS’ SILENCE IS UNACCEPTABLE:
- SILENCE ALLOWS THREATS AND HARMS TO INCREASE
- SILENCE CONDONES NRC REGULATORY NEGLIGENCE
- SILENCE PROTECTS EXELON PROFITS AT OUR EXPENSE
ELECTED OFFICIALS WHO DON’T SPEAK UP NOW
SHOULD BE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE!
TO PROTECT PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS,
LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT MUST CLOSE NOW:
- Stop Limerick’s Radiation Releases Into Our Air and Water
- Stop Depletion and Overheating of the Schuylkill River, The Vital Drinking Water Resource For Almost 2 Million People, Pottstown to Philadelphia
- Stop Deadly Radioactive Waste Production. There Is NO SAFE SOLUTION!
- Reduce Need to Evacuate. We Can’t Evacuate Safely!
- Reduce Meltdown Threats That Could Render The Entire Philadelphia Region Uninhabitable. Millions Could Lose Everything They Own
ELECTED OFFICIALS’ VOICES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!
NUCLEAR PLANTS ARE CLOSING WHERE ELECTED OFFICIALS SPEAK UP
- Nuclear Plants In California and Vermont Are Closing, In Large Part Because Their Elected Officials, Including State and U.S. Senators, As Well As Governors Spoke Out Against Risks And Harms To The Public From Their Nuclear Plants
- In New York, Officials, Including Governor Andrew Cuomo and State Senators Have Pushed For Closure Of Indian Point, Citing Its Location Near A Major Population Center
- Only U.S. Senator Bob Casey Expressed Public Concern About Evacuation Feasibility
YOUR VOICE AND VOTE ARE NEEDED
TELL FAMILY, FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS, AND ELECTED OFFICIALS WHAT IS AT RISK
FOR DETAILS ON LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT’S THREATS AND HARMS
- TELL LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL ELECTED OFFICIALS YOU PLAN TO HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE IN THE VOTING BOOTH FOR THEIR FAILURE TO SPEAK UP TO PROTECT YOUR FUTURE.
DECADES AGO ELECTED OFFICIALS FAILED TO SPEAK UP
NOW WE FACE LIMERICK’S UNPRECEDENTED THREATS AND HARMS
PUBLIC WATER SUPPLY SERIOUSLY JEOPARDIZED!
Limerick Nuclear Plant’s Devastating Assault On The Schuylkill River Is Slowly Destroying This Vital Drinking Water Resource For Almost Two Million People From Pottstown to Philadelphia.
- Elected Officials Knew Before Limerick Was Licensed That The Schuylkill River Could Not Sustain Limerick Nuclear Plant operations. They Also Knew Limerick Would Radiate and Overheat The River, Jeopardizing Public Health and The Ecosystem.
- ELECTED OFFICIALS FAILED TO SPEAK UP IN THE 1970S AND 1980S TO STOP AVOIDABLE DESTRUCTION OF THIS VITAL PUBLIC WATER SUPPLY.
- By 1999 The River Reached Record Low Flows. Limerick’s Cooling Tower Depletion Was A Major Factor. By 2003, Exelon Asked To Reduce and Eliminate Requirements In Place To Protect The River Water and to Pump Massive Amounts of Toxic Unfiltered Mine Waster Into The River To Supplement The Flow To Operate Limerick.
- AT THE 2012 PUBLIC HEARING, ONLY ONE LOCAL OFFICIAL, MICHAEL MOYER, OPPOSED LIMERICK’S UNPRECEDENTED THREATS AND HARMS TO PUBLIC DRINKING WATER.RADIOACTIVE WASTES THREATEN UNTHINKABLE DISASTER
- There Is NO SAFE SOLUTION.
- Transporting It Offsite Is Too Dangerous Due To Accidents and Terrorist Attacks
- Storing It In Limerick’s Corroded and Thinning Fuel Pools Makes It Vulnerable To Devastating Meltdowns From Accidents or Terrorist Attacks
- The Only Solution – STOP MAKING IT.
- Until That Happens, We Must Store Existing Wastes On Site SAFER – In Above Ground Casks
- ACE Repeatedly Informed Elected Officials About Extreme Threats We Face From Limerick’s Radioactive Waste Storage and Transport. ACE Also Repeatedly Requested Officials To Comment to NRC In Support Of Recommended Actions For NRC’s Radioactive Waste Study
- NOT ONE ELECTED OFFICIAL TOOK ACTION TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC’S HEALTH, SAFETY, AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS RELATED TO LIMERICK’S LETHAL HIGH-LEVEL RADCIOACTIVE WASTES.SAFE EVACUATION NOT POSSIBLE!
- In 1980, Before Limerick’s Construction, NRC Admitted The Region Within 30 Miles Of Limerick Had Double The Population That Could Be Evacuated Safely.
- IN 1980 ELECTED OFFICIALS REMAINED SILENT AND ALLOWED LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT CONSTRUCTION TO CONTINUE.
- At The Same Time, In The 1980s, Based On Population Density and Impossible Safe Evacuation, New York Elected Officials Opposed Shoreham Nuclear Plant
- NEW YORK OFFICIALS OPPOSED SHOREHAM NUCLEAR PLANT BASED ON INABILITY TO EVACUATE SAFELY. SHOREHAM WAS CLOSED.
- By 2010, Population Density Around Limerick Nuclear Plant Skyrocketed Over 4 Times Higher Than Could Evacuate Safely.
- OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS STILL REMAIN SILENT ABOUT OUR INABILITY TO SAFELY EVACUATE, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF U.S. SENATOR BOB CASEY.
- Only Michael Moyer, an East Coventry Supervisor, had the courage and integrity to speak out on behalf of public interests at the public hearing to relicense Limerick Nuclear Plant.LIMERICK’S RADIOACTIVE RELEASES INCREASE CANCER RATES, INFANT MORTALITY, AND OTHER DISEASES AND DISABILITIES.
HEALTH THREATS WILL CONTINUE AND INCREASE AS LONG AS LIMERICK OPERATES
- Since 1985 Limerick released unknown amounts of radiation into our air, water, soil, food, milk, fish and bodies.
- Evidence of harm is clear. Skyrocketing cancers have been documented since Limerick started operating, especially in children. Infant and neonatal mortality rates became far higher than the state average, and even higher than Philadelphia and Reading.
- The best way to reduce cancer rates and other health problems is to close Limerick to reduce radioactive releases into our air and water.
- NOT ONE STATE OR FEDERAL OFFICIAL ATTENDED THE PUBLIC HEARING TO ASK NRC NOT TO RELICENSE LIMERICK, MUCH LESS TO CLOSE IT NOW TO PROTECT PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS. SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUES ARE BEING IGNORED BY ELECTED OFFICIALS
- Earthquake Faults – Under Limerick site. 4 others within 17 Miles
- Reactors May Not Be Able To Shut Down To Prevent Meltdowns
- Limerick Follows Lax Fire Safety Regulations
- Substandard Cement in Reactors and Fuel Pools
- Fuel Pools Corroding and Thinning At Rates 10 Times Faster Than Anticipated
- Fuel Rods Taken From Pools Years Before Sufficient Cooling Tim
CALL OR E-MAIL
ELECTED OFFICIALS TODAY
URGE THEM TO SPEAK OUT
TO CLOSE LIMERICK NUCLEAR PLANT
YOUR HEALTH, SAFETY, AND FINANCIAL INTERESTS
Contact as many elected officials as possible!
The list below does not include all elected officials who represent residents impacted by Limerick Nuclear Plant operations, but it is important for you to contact any elected official with constituents within 50 miles of Limerick Nuclear Plant.
Governor Tom Corbett (R)
225 Main Capitol Building
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17120
Phone: (717) 787-2500 Fax: (717) 772-8284
High Street, Suite 100
U.S. Senator Pat Toomey (R)
8 Penn Center
1628 John F. Kennedy Blvd. Suite 1702
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 241-1090 Fax: (215) 241-1095
U.S. Senator Bob Casey (D)
2000 Market Street, Suite 1870
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 405-9660 Fax: (215) 405-9669
- U. S. Congressman James Gerlach (R)580 Main Street, Suite 4
Trappe, PA 19246
Phone (610) 409-2780 Fax (610) 409-7988
U.S. Congressman Charles W. Dent (R) PA-15
701 W. Broad Street, Suite 200
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Phone (610) 861-9734 Fax (610) 861-9308
U.S. Congressman Pat Meehan (R)
940 Sproul Road
Springfield, PA 19064
Phone: (610) 690-7323 Fax: (610) 690-7329
U. S. Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz (D) PA-13
Montgomery County Office
706 West Avenue
Jenkintown, PA 19046
PA Senator John Rafferty (R) – Montgomery County
Montgomery County Office
3818 Germantown Pike, Suite B
Collegeville, PA 19426
Ph: 610-831-8830 FAX: 610-831-8837
PA Senator Andrew E. Dinniman (D)– Chester County
One North Church Street
West Chester, PA 19380
(610) 692-2112 Fax (610) 436-1721
PA Senator Judith Schwank(D) Berks County
1940 North 13th Street
Reading, PA 19604
(610) 929-2151 FAX: (610) 929-2576
PA Senator David G. Argall (R) Schuylkill County
One West Centre Street
Mahanoy City, PA 17948
PA Representative Tim Hennessey (R)
Old Elverson Train Station
P.O. Box 255
Elverson, PA 19520
Phone: 610-286-9194 Fax: 610-286-1922
PA Representative Mike Vereb (R)
3950 Germantown Pike. Suite 101
Collegeville, PA 19426
Phone: (610) 409-2615 Fax: (610) 409-2619
PA Representative Mark Painter (D)
600 Heritage Drive, Suite 102
Sanatoga, PA 19464
Phone (610) 326-9563 Fax (610) 718-5787
- PA Representative Becky Corbin (R) 315 Gordon Drive
Exton, PA, 19341
Phone: (610) 524-5595 Fax: (610) 524-5667